There is an ancient story told of a woman who did not waver when the situation demanded swift (and brilliant) action. She trusted her perspective, her wisdom and made choices in alignment with both. She stepped WAY outside the bounds of what would have ever been expected of her, even allowed. And in so doing, saved the lives of many.
It’s highly possible that your day-to-day actions do not hold quite the same level of consequence. And, I wonder…
During one of the most difficult seasons of my life, the question that my Spiritual Director kept asking me was,
“Does this bring you life – or death, Ronna?”
I could not deny the know-that-I-know-that-I-know voice within. And it moved me ever-closer to truth (and truth-telling). When I listened, the data became impossible-to-ignore:
- Hearing that voice, my wisdom, and trusting it (no matter what that meant or looked like), led me to life.
When I heard it and did not trust it, it led to death.
- No, not literally. But close.
“Life” meant risk, to be sure; but I was awake, alive, and strong…sovereign. “Death” meant avoiding risk; I felt shut down, small, silenced…not sovereign. It was not at all difficult to see the cumulative effect of this (past and future). Not life-giving.
I’m not naive. Making these kind of choices and decisions, taking these kind of bold actions, does have consequence! (The woman in the ancient story experienced them, too!) Which is why I extend you, me, all of us massive amounts of grace as we learn to LIVE this way; as we step into the sovereignty that is ours – without question, compromise, or limit.
So, here’s some grace to soak in – inspired by the ancient story I referenced above and supplemented (just a bit) by my own story:
- Your wisdom is worth hearing…and trusting.
- It won’t go anywhere as you test the waters, feel it out, take the smallest of steps. It’s your wisdom, after all!
- You deserve life and life and more life – in every single way possible.
- You are not alone as you figure it out, as you falter, as you rise up, as you notice pink elephants everywhere.
I’ve been teaching a free workshop this week in my private Facebook Group: How to Hear & Trust Your Own Wisdom. All this and then some is on the docket, to be sure (along with LOTS of grace).
It’s not too late to join in, get recordings of anything you’ve missed, and download the Wisdom Worksheets I’m making available every day. Click here.