I’ve spent the last few days at a beautiful, private, and extremely quiet place. I’ve spent a lot of time looking out at the water, the mountains, and more breeds of birds than I can count. I’ve rested. I’ve read. And I’ve even written a little. I’ve spent intentional, sacred time looking back over 2013. And consistent themes have emerged, right alongside some pretty twisty threads. I’ve focused on the themes: patterns that have powerfully, almost miraculously appeared and made themselves at home in my world and my heart. And I’ve pulled on the threads – in some cases, pretty hard; my resistance high to the unraveling necessary to weave something stronger, more beautiful, and better able to support all that lies ahead and all that I deserve and desire.
The word that has come to me, again and again, on both ends of this spectrum – themes and threads, past and future – has been TRUTH. I have seen Her presence made manifest in powerful ways when I have been willing to speak. I have heard Her voice within me when I have been most afraid, most heartbroken, most insecure, and most alone. I have felt Her in the words and actions of my friends – women who have called me to the TRUTH they see and experience in me when I am loathe to forget. I have had also to acknowledge that there have been many times in which She wanted to be more present. When She waited quietly (though impatiently) in the wings. When She was ignored. When I was too afraid, too heartbroken, too insecure, and feeling myself to be too alone to bear one more reminder of Her vast and magnificent presence.
Here’s what I know – and what you know, too: TRUTH will not be denied. She comes as ruthless cure and kindest companion, as double-edged sword and heroine’s scepter, as quietest whisper and on-a-soap-box shout. And She longs to be given even more reign, more space, more permission, more room to be expressed. Because here’s the thing: TRUTH knows that when She’s seen, spoken, and experienced everything changes.
You’ve heard it before – my very favorite-of-all-time quote:
What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open. ~ Muriel Rukeyser
Which is exactly why we don’t want to tell it (and why, TRUTH-be-told, we do). It’s exactly why we hear, with great clarity and acumen, that know-that-I-know-that-I-know voice within, but hesitate to let it out. It’s exactly why, when it’s spoken to us or about us we either wince or weep, hide from or herald its coming.
Truth is a demure lady, much too ladylike to knock you on your head and drag you to her cave. She is there, but people must want her, and seek her out. ~ William F. Buckley, Jr.
TRUTH is what I want, what I seek, what I offer.
As I’ve rested and reflected and written, I’ve asked myself: “What is the TRUTH that I uniquely have to tell, that empowers and enlivens me more than all else, and frankly, that scares the s*** out of me most of the time? With this as my oh-so-eloquent and guiding directive, here’s what I’m offering you in the year to come:
- Sacred Stories – I’ll be introducing you to 24 (more) of the ancient, sacred narratives I love and their undeniable, intoxicating TRUTH which has the capacity to exponentially increase the way in which you step into your own Sacred Story; your own undeniable and intoxicating TRUTH!
- Sacred Practices – I’ve chosen 12 time-tested, centuries-old spiritual disciplines – one for each month – as ways of getting under the surface of all that keeps us from TRUTH-telling and TRUTH-living; that drop us into deep, authentic, and intimate relationship with the Divine. TRUTH at its highest.
- Transforming Your Story – The tagline on my website says Transforming Women’s Sacred Stories. Inviting Yours. This is what I’m all about: beautiful, powerful, and too-often silenced stories of women (then and now) and the ways in which they deserve to be re-imagined, re-told, and redeemed – theirs and yours! I’m crafting a series of 12 posts (yes, one for each month) that provide you context, what’s and why’s, and LOTS of how’s. Each designed to invite you more sacredly into your own story and ways in which transformation and TRUTH will literally jump off the page of the incredible life you are writing – and living.
- The Transformative Women Series – I’ve chosen 10 mystics – amazing women who know Divine-connection like nobody’s business. They’ll inspire, to be sure; more, they’ll invite you to your own transformative experience of the Sacred in beautiful TRUTH-filled ways.
- Feminist Theology 101 – This is the intellectual framework that informs much of what I write and even more of what I long for. What is it? Where did it come from? Who are its predominant voices? What does it stand for? Why does it matter? All this and then some coming every month in 2014. Lots of TRUTH, to be sure!
- And hey! By way of blatant self-promotion (and the TRUTH that I’m working-working-working to build my platform/subscriber base/followers on the advice of my literary agent and my book (go ahead: scream, shout, open champagne, toss confetti – all appropriate and accepted), I’d LOVE it if you’d forward this post to others…or at least this link (SUBSCRIBE) so that they can sign-up to be on my list and get all of the above and then some! Really, TRUTHfully, Thank you!
Even more, I’m inviting you to the TRUTH-telling you most need, most want, and most deeply long for; what you know and need to talk to someone else about. Yes, you and me, one-on-one, having TRUTH-filled conversations about stuff that matters. Themes and threads. Past and present. Certainly, the future. The fears, the heartbreaks, the insecurities, and the loneliness. Most definitely the know-that-you-know-that-you-know voice within. And in all of these, the Sacred – present and accounted for when we have eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart that desires. A safe place to tell your TRUTH and to see it transformed and transmitted into every aspect of your life. Single sessions, one month, or three-month blocks are available. Not therapy. Not coaching. Something powerful in-between and beyond both. Exactly what you’ve been looking for. Take the next step.
As I’ve worked on this post, I’ve continued to look out at the water, the mountains, and the endlessly-passing-by birds (two hummingbirds are to my right, a small finch to my left, and I saw a blue heron an hour-or-so ago). I’ve felt my fear ebb and flow. The TRUTH? It’s daunting to state intentions, plans, goals, even dreams. What if I can’t keep up? What if my TRUTH doesn’t resonate with yours? What if it results in more unsubscribes than subscribes? But more, I’m hearing deeper, more heart-rending questions than these. What if writing my TRUTH leaves me feeling like a voice crying in the wilderness? What if telling my TRUTH results in more winnowing than gathering, more loss than gain; hard choices, tough calls, firm(er) boundaries, profound risks? What if living my TRUTH means that goodbyes are on the way – to patterns, to particular behaviors, even to people? But other possibilities beckon and abound, as well. What if writing my TRUTH is what will create exactly the platform, the context, and even the content I most love, most long for, most live to create and share? What if telling my TRUTH invites opportunity, people, and places into my world that defy my wildest imagination? And what if living my TRUTH actually serves to draw me even closer to the Divine, to the Sacred, to a way of being that is more powerful, more breathtaking, and more wildly passionate than I’ve even and ever dared dream?
TRUTH makes no promise to be a gentle or barely-felt presence. She is a warrior, a fighter, a lover, and the fiercest of friends.
And this, it occurs to me, is who I want to be, as well.
May it be so.Share